 |
"Ask a Dog"
| Wednesday, March 08, 2006 |
|
Roses of the Prophet Muhammad?
|
A jolly fellow on the Puritanboard posted this article, which I thought was rather amusing. Some extracts:
Iranians love Danish pastries, but when they look for the flaky dessert at the bakery they now have to ask for "Roses of the Prophet Muhammad."
Bakeries across the capital were covering up their ads for Danish pastries Thursday after the confectioners' union ordered the name change in retaliation for caricatures of the Muslim prophet published in a Danish newspaper.
"Given the insults by Danish newspapers against the prophet, as of now the name of Danish pastries will give way to 'Rose of Muhammad' pastries," the union said in its order.
Now, to be sure, this is not the only retaliation. As I understand, some people have been killed and some other bad things have been perpetrated. But I think everyone will agree that this is the most effective move to date. I quote:
"This is a punishment for those who started misusing freedom of expression to insult the sanctities of Islam," said Ahmad Mahmoudi, a cake shop owner in northern Tehran.
You know the murder and pillage (documented here) part didn't bother me. I was even OK with the ending of economic ties with Denmark; but renaming the pastries! At that point my heart smote me. Who are we, after all, to draw cartoons? Who are we to accuse of violence people who avenge such accusations with violence and pastry-renaming? Freedom of speech is all very well, but surely we must now all understand that there are reasonable limits to it.
But once we get over our initial intimidation, I think there is some comfort here as well. We are often impressed by the zeal of people who are willing to kill and die for their religion. But here is proof that they are not, after all, so very different from your average evanjellyfish or fumbleatalists. You see, while they rename the pastry, they are not willing to stop eating it. |
posted by Ruben @ 3/08/2006 05:19:00 PM   |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
Reciprocatorily, I must say, this made me laugh! You set up that last quote pretty well. Although, I'm not sure it really needed any setting up to be funny.
Baker's Unite!!!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
Strugr | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| The E-Book! |
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|
Reciprocatorily, I must say, this made me laugh! You set up that last quote pretty well. Although, I'm not sure it really needed any setting up to be funny.
Baker's Unite!!!